Friday, January 18, 2013

On sucking at things

I’ve decided to suck at more things.

If you’re like me, as you get older, you get more conservative about what you spend your time on. There’s more demand on the time you have, you consider it precious. Kids and lunches and soccer and work and family visits and so on and so forth.

If I have the idea to do something creative –(Write! Draw! Sing! Build!) -this nasty, pretending-to-be-practical voice pipes up-

“No, you don’t really have time to do that any justice. I mean, you’re in your thirties. You’ve got kids and a family and a job that can be demanding. You don’t have the hours to be good at that! It’ll be wasted effort. I mean, really, what are you going to get out of it? It’s not like you could make it a career, right?”

What an awful, shitty voice. Why do I listen to that? Because I have, for years now. I’ve let it stop me short from really diving into creative projects. I’ve let it keep my from trying them in the first place.

That voice is a sonofabitch, and I don’t want to listen to it anymore.

I don’t have to be any good at a creative endeavor for it to be worth my while.

It’s okay to suck.

As long as I improve at it to any measurable degree, and I’m spending my time making things instead of staring at some sort of digital device, then I’m going to start counting that as a win, period.

No comments: